Monday, February 7, 2011

Walmart - Follow-up on fresh product

I wanted to pop in here and follow-up on my last post about the Walmart Super-center in NE Edmonton. 

The fresh produce department is now open, and on Saturday, I managed to take a good long walk through there and compared some of the prices.  I'd say that the produce prices are equal, and possibly a little cheaper than Superstores, depending on what's on sale at the time.  Though the produce looks fresh and of great quality, the prices still cannot beat H & W Produce.  Apples are at least $0.20 cheaper per pound at H&W, and potatoes are about half the price.

H&W doesn't have the brand name bags of potatoes, and their apples are sometimes bruised and marked.  But again, that's what makes it a discount store, and that's why their prices just can't be beat.

Walmart had bananas for $0.57 a pound, which matches perfectly with H&W's regular price.  Lemons, limes, and pineapples were also priced similarly. 

All things considered though, I have to say that I'll be sticking with H&W for my fresh produce and only purchasing produce that is on sale at Walmart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?