Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Save money on internet service charges!

Today I decided to do something I've not had the nerve to do before.  I asked for a better deal than what I was currently getting on our internet!

Now, Dave Ramsey talks about this in his Financial Peace University seminar, but I am a little nervous to ask for a better deal.  After all, I knew what the costs would  be when I signed up.  What right do I have to ask for a better deal?  Dave says that I not only have a right, but I have an obligation to find a better deal so I can save more money!

Shaw is currently our internet service provider, and though we haven't had any complaints, I noticed that Telus currently has an introductory offer of monthly internet service for $10!  I currently pay $46 each month for my internet, and saving a bunch of money is always something I am interested in, so the offer from Telus looked great.

I called Shaw and explained that I was just looking for ways to save money and found the offer from Telus in my search.  I mentioned that I knew Shaw was offering a similar introductory rate and asked if I could get that new rate even though I'd been with Shaw for years already.

After transferring through a couple of different people, I talked to a representative who said, "I can't give you the introductory offer, but what I can do is offer you a $23 a month rate for 6 months.  After the 6 months, your rate will go back up to $46. Would that be okay?"

I happily accepted his offer and was thrilled to be saving 50% of my internet bill ($23) each month!

Try it, it should work for you too!

-Beki

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!!! Great blog! I found you, when you followed me!! I love the internet! I look forward to your adventure! Dave Ramsey's plan is great huh! I did the Shaw thing too and they also gave me a break! I will check with this latest promo as it has been over a year since I did it and I am back up to costly again too! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I have certainly been on a financial rollercoaster while trying to figure it all out. Sometimes we make dumb decisions, and sometimes they are for the better.

    On a side note, I checked my Shaw bill this month, and they only charged me $13.95 instead of $23 like they said they would. I have no idea why or how, but I certainly won't complain!

    ReplyDelete

What about you?