Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Save Money on Steaks!

For the last couple of months, I have only bought beef that is ground in order to save some cash on our meat budget.  I was snooping around in the meet department at Costco, when I noticed that the large eye of round roasts were not that expensive.

I bought the roast, took it home, and sliced it into 3/4 inch steaks.  I got 12 decent sized steaks out of it and I used the ends for stir-fry meat!  Now, it's important to note that these aren't the most tender steaks you've ever had, but if you marinade them for a few hours prior to BBQing, they are quite tasty!  The stir fry meat was pretty tough as well, but still tasty and filling.  For the price, I won't complain!

Comparison Summary

$16.09 for a eye of round roast

6 meals of steak + 2 packs of stir fry meat = 8 meals

If you add in the cost of potatoes and veggies, you are looking at between $2 and $3 per plate for a steak dinner!  Not bad, and certainly worth the extra time it took to marinade the meat!

2 comments:

  1. Did you cut the roast with a knife or do you have a slicer?

    I suck at cutting everything and have no idea how I'd get nice pretty steaks out of a roast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut the roasts carefully with a knife. I don't have a slicer, so I just got out my really big knife and went at it, measuring about 3/4 inch between cuts.

    It was similar to slicing a really big sausage. I'm sure the steaks were not all perfectly even, but they looked fine once they were cooked. So far, they taste the best with a nice Teriyaki marinade.

    ReplyDelete

What about you?