Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Long time - Getting back at it.

Boy, it's been awhile since my last post, but I'm going to try and get back into the swing of things.  Since my last post, we had a lot of things happen in our personal lives, including a pregnancy!  =)  We are now expecting our 3rd baby on or around April 1, 2011.  We are very excited.

To give you all an update as to where we are in our goal of financial peace, we now have over $5500 in our emergency fund, as we slowly crawl towards our goal- 3 months of expenses.  Eventually, we will bump that number up to 6 months, but for now, it seems easier to reach the smaller goal first.

We have finally found our groove in this cash budget world, and for us, it breaks down like this:

Every two weeks, our budget consists of:

$240 - Groceries/ food/ all dining out
$30 - Diapers/ Wipes
$10 - Childcare
$20 - Clothing
$10 - Gifts
$10 - Personal Care (Mainly haircuts)
$20 - Miscellaneous

We are thrilled to report that we have been sticking to these numbers like glue, despite our dietary concerns (which makes groceries more expensive) and having baby coming. 

In the grocery department, Walmart's Great Value brand items have been excellent deals all around.  I am very excited that within the next 2 weeks, Walmart will be adding in a fresh groceries department in the location near my house.  They claim that the prices on the fruits and vegetables will beat Superstore, but I'm hoping that the quality will still be there.  For now, I shop for my fruits and veggies at a small discount produce store (H&W Produce) near my house.  The prices are very low, and the quality is usually pretty good.

In the last week, I bumped up the diaper budget a little to start stockpiling the cash for when baby3 is born.  I know that in the first month, those babies go through a LOT of diapers!!  

I also bumped up the clothing budget as I found that I just couldn't keep to the old budget of $30 a month.  Kids grow fast, and with that comes clothing expenses!  I was able to k
Publish Post
eep up with the kids, provided that we shopped only for really good sales and at thrift stores, but I didn't have enough for when my husband and I needed something.  With $10 more a month, it will make it just that much easier for us to clothe our family.

Hope you are all doing well out there, remember too keep saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?