Monday, December 12, 2011

Electricity Providers

After much research, we have finally decided to switch from Epcor to Enmax for electricity.  In order to further our savings, we also switched our natural gas provider from Direct Energy to Enmax.

We locked in our electricity costs at a lower price than we've been paying for the last couple of months, and we kept a floating rate for natural gas.  The natural gas costs will not be any higher or lower than the floating rate we were paying before.

After hearing the electricity prices were going to rise up to 40% in December, I decided that locking it into a non-contractual plan was the best option.  With Enmax, I can switch in and out of the fixed rates at any time I choose.  This means that there is virtually no risk involved, and if I don't end up saving money, or if it costs me more, I'll simply switch back to Epcor.

We won't get our first bill from Enmax until the first part of January, so we'll have to wait a bit to see if we will come out ahead, the same, or further back.  I do expect to come out ahead... otherwise I never would have switched.

I'm not hoping for a miracle here, but if we can save a few dollars each month, it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?