Thursday, July 8, 2010

Highly Recommend Dave Ramsey

So as most of you know, I'm like majorly into Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and Total Money Makeover!  This stuff has changed my life.

If you have debt, or can't seem to make ends meet, you really need to go check out his site.  Dave Ramsey is about the best thing that has happened to my entire family tree!  It's not only my financial life that has drastically turned for the better, but it's my brother's and sister's, my brother's and sister's in law, it's my parents, and someday, my children! 

When I registered for the Financial Peace University course, I wasn't sure that it would do us any good.  After all, it's not like I was automatically finding a new higher paying job!  He wasn't going to come in and give me a million bucks to help me out!  I was a little skeptical, but excited as well.  I knew I was willing to do what it took, whatever that was, to make things work, and I knew he could tell me how.

On our first night of the course, my husband and I knew without any doubt that we could tackle this thing.  We could, and would!  By the end of the course, we had personally paid off over $7000 of debt!!! 

Now let's get something straight.  My husband and I are not big earners.  My husband is a drywall taper, and I am a stay-at-home mom.  One income, which I'm incredibly thankful for, that is somewhere around $45,000 a year.  In the 3 months that the course took us, we had a $1000 emergency fund set aside, and we put $7000 towards debt!! 

How?  Easy.  Or not easy.  Simple, not easy.  We cut, and I do mean cut, a LOT of spending, and sold every last thing we could think of.  It really was not easy at all, but it was worth it.  We also received our tax refund, which contributed $4000 to the debt payment.  We literally cut every last penny that we could, and I began my journey into finding ways to seriously save money.  I searched local classified ad sites for free stuff, and I sold some stuff of my own.  Slowly, we made progress.

Where are we now?  Debt free, except for our house!!!  Yeah baby!!  :D  Our house should be paid off in 23 years if we stick to the plan, but we hope to be completely debt free in 15 years.  I'd love for it to be sooner, but that will depend on how income goes.  We are currently working on getting a full emergency fund in place (3-6 months worth of expenses), and by the looks of it, that should be taken care of within the next year.

I am so thankful to Dave and his teaching, I cannot believe that I am finally out of this rut of always spending a little more than we make!  My husband and I haven't argued about money, we haven't been surprised at each other's purchases, and we haven't wished the other took more financial responsibility.  We are truly reaching Financial Peace!

We will update you here and there as we head towards the ultimate goal of being completely debt free, and building wealth.  Thanks for staying tuned, and for traveling along with us for this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?