Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Budget Update

So... I've spent a little more on food than I had originally budgeted for, (click here to see the previous budget), but interestingly enough, I'm still under my whole grocery budget! 

The full grocery budget was at $450, and we are on the 20th of the month, with pretty much everything covered, and I've reached $380.  I have yet to calculate how everything was broken up, but I'm not too worried about how it all divides if it goes down just a bit.  I know you can't spend less each month, but I do aim to spend less and less until it is absolutely impossible for me to save even one more penny than what I am doing.

I told my husband this week that someday we will have enough room in our budget to splurge on things like roast beef, or quality steaks.  I love the steaks I made last night (Click here for the recipe), but they aren't comparable to a really thick and juicy steak.  They are certainly a good change from the regular ground beef though.

I am continuing to compare groceries, but it's taking me awhile.  I can't believe how long I spend in each aisle... it takes me hours in each section of each store!  I don't have a lot of time right now, as a busy mom with little kids and a husband to look after, but I'm working on it slowly.  I'll get there soon!

1 comment:

  1. One thing to consider sometime down the road with meat, if you're able to save up to make one big payment, is to go together with someone to purchase a side of beef. We did that this spring, and have steaks/roasts/etc all for under $2/meal. It is a bigger up front expense, but between raising our chickens this year and beef, we won't have to buy meat at all this year, and saves a lot long term...

    ~R

    ReplyDelete

What about you?