Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Walmart vs President's Choice

So, dear readers, I have completed the first of many grocery price comparisons.

Edmonton Walmart vs President's Choice

After a very thorough price per unit comparison, I am surprised to say that Walmart beats President's Choice!  I'm talking about specifically The Wholesale Club items, which are said to be even cheaper than Superstore.  I was very surprised.  At least here in Edmonton, Walmart's Great Value brand, even in the lower quantities, beats PC's No Name brand for price per unit.

I expected to find that Great Value beat No Name in the smaller quantity cans and packages, but I was very shocked to find that even in the price per unit of the larger cans and jumbo sized items, Great Value still comes out on top! Some things, like large bags of cooking oats, large jugs of oil, and some frozen goods are cheaper through No Name, but Walmart has better priced frozen veggies, though not of the same wide selection.

So far, I have not done a lot of the paperwork behind the comparison, but that will come and I will prove to you that Great Value is indeed of great value. The sad thing is, some Walmart stores do not have the selection that I have access to at my local Walmart.  If your store doesn't have the canned and frozen foods, you won't be able to find these amazing deals.  I am thrilled that my local Walmart is continuing to upgrade over the next year, and will be adding produce to their inventory.  I hope to find some excellent deals in that area as well.

I have created a meal plan for the month of July, and using relatively low expense meals, I have done nearly all my grocery shopping and spent only $169!!  I need to buy some ground beef and bacon (Costco seems to be the best for these items), and possibly top up on eggs and milk as the month goes on.  But for the most part, I have cut my bill by 50% by simply shopping the cheapest place, for the store brand items, after I've made a month's food menu.

Eggs, milk, and butter are all considerably cheaper at WalMart than anywhere else I've looked.  Bread is cheaper at Wholesale Club for their $0.99 bread. They have bagels, hot dog and hamburger buns, specialty breads, English muffins, and many other types of bread all in their discount shelves, all for 99 cents.

In my opinion, once it's all weighed out, I'd give Walmart the gold medal for today's comparison.  Their logo and statement beneath is ringing true so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?