Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Birthday savings!

My baby girl is turning 1!  (The picture is of my daughter and my husband, playing at the park.) 

When my son turned 1 year old, I probably spend $50 on presents, and other odds and ends for a fun birthday party.  I honestly don't remember what I got him, and if it's still around now, I'd be surprised! 

I know my daughter LOVES cabbage patch dolls, so I've kept my eye out for a gently used one.  I found one for $1 at a local thrift store, and it was in perfect condition!  I gave it a good cleaning, found some clothes for the doll, and wrapped it up.  We also bought a nice ball at Wal-Mart for $3, and a ball for my son (2.5 years old) to enjoy this summer as well, for another $3. 

I made a scratch cake, which was delicious, made our own ice cream, and some cookies.  We celebrated as a family, and she enjoyed every moment of it.  She loves her new baby doll, and really enjoys her ball too.  She had a wonderful birthday party, and I think she enjoyed it just as much as my son did when he was one.  her entire birthday party cost us maybe $10, and that includes presents for her and my son! 

Sometimes we get so caught up in buying the newest, flashiest, and most impressive presents, that we forget that the kid is only 1, and really, a nice heartfelt gift will make them just as happy as a brand new expensive toy.  It's just not necessary to spend a lot, especially while the are so little and won't remember it anyways.  

On another note, I ran out of Pediatric Advil last night.  My little girl has been teething this past week, and as those molars break through, she's certainly needed a little pain relief to help her to sleep peacefully. 

Before I went out to buy some, I checked out Advil's website, and was thrilled to find a $2 coupon for their Children's Advil!  Normally, the Pediatric Advil is $8, but I got it for $6.  I found a few more coupons online as well, so if I had gone to London Drugs, I could have purchased it for much less, but it wasn't worth the 15 minute drive to my nearest London Drugs.  I had another drugstore within a couple minutes, and I really needed the Advil to help her relax and sleep!  Maybe next time I will get it at London Drugs for much less- BEFORE I run out completely and am in a panic to get more. 

So I did well this week, I saved a bunch of money, and I didn't spend even more. (It's good to find sales, but even better if you are careful not to spend anything on things you don't need!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?